JJ's Book and Movie Recommendations

A=Action, B=Biography, C=Classics, CH=Children’s Lit, CL=Chick Lit, COM=Comedy, D=Drama, F=Fantasy, H=Historical Fiction, I=Inspirational, M=Mystery, P=Political, R=Romance, S=Suspense, SF=Science Fiction, SH=Self-Help, T=Theology, TT=Time Travel, W=Women’s Issues/Feminism, WE=Western, YA=Young Adult

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Movie: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (YA)

This is a review for the film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, based on a novel of the same name by Ann Brashares (which I have not read, but now plan to read ASAP).

The premise is simple and sounds a little wacky, but I promise it pays off. A quartet of teenage friends find a pair of jeans in a thrift store that somehow fit all of their different figures perfectly. They decide the pants are magic.

As the girls face their first summer apart, they decide that each of them will wear the pants a week, write a letter describing the most interesting thing that happens while she wears the pants, and then mail them to the next friend as a way of keeping in touch and sharing the magic.

During the course of the summer, each friend faces a situation which challenges her sense of self and brings her closer to adulthood. Because they believe in the magic of the pants and their friendship with each other, each girl has the courage to face her situation head-on.

This film made me smile and made me cry. I genuinely cared about the characters and found their circumstances true-to-life. I recommend it for your daughters, your nieces, your girlfriends, and yourself. If I had to be 17 again, I wish it could be like this... Grade: A